Wednesday, September 06, 2006

someone's got a poopy diaper

Mom and Dad are being really supportive of my whole job suckassness. I appreciate them coming into the "computer room" (corner in the sunroom) to put a hand on my shoulder while I fight tears back. It is so discouraging to...wait, let's count them...check out jobs on...14 non-profit job search engines and...21 organizations' websites. Josh told me today that I am a loser basically for still working at a coffee shop and that if I really wanted a job I'd have one. Not having one is because I am not trying or, as the Buddhists say, envisioning myself in a job thus finding a job. I told him he didn't know what he was talking about but I'm feeling kinda weak and shitty right now. It makes me want to cry when I read "Driver Needed! Drive a bus because they're great!...." Or that some Wheaton grad nabbed a job I'd rule at. I didn't even get an interview. Heather said that they see Wheaton Grad or Harvard and drool, and that maybe I want to edit my resume to highlight my "other" good points. That's nice...Silly me and my shitty liberal arts education from Bovine University...They just read my shit and threw it in the "no" pile. Dad said "I'm sorry Andrea, you're doing a great job and soon it'll just snap." Mom said, "I don't believe that God just lands things on our laps, but I do believe that when we are actively searching for something he meets us," or something like that. I really appreciate that. They are encouraging to me a lot, and even though it does seem like the wisest move would be to just manage Caribou or take some radom office job, I know that that's not what's for me and that they support that. I hear lots and lots of no's when I think about those options. I hear keep waiting and looking and trusting when I think about the fruitless pursuit of what I really want. Meh and Boo.

Megan called me the foul dog mom today. That made me smile. Vince got kicked off Project Runway. That was bitchin. I got some new games and movies so that's also good. And fancy beer. I'm going to sunless tan now and try to beat Yoshi. Oh no, I can't do that. I need some Jesus. He's helping me out lately and I like him. Well, I'm trying to, but it's like he smells or something. Even though he's cool and all he still really stinks like B.O. and I don't really want to spend that much time around him getting stale butt fungus stink in my nose. Does that make sense?

4 Comments:

At 1:41 PM, Blogger Heather said...

Did you really just say Jesus has BO? Isn't that a little... sacreligious? :-) Hooray for Vincent getting kicked off. If I had to hear him say "It turns me on" one more time, I swear I would have punched the TV. I realized just now I left my glass of wine out last night. It's probably still sitting there.

ANYWAY....

I don't want you to take the Wheaton/Harvard comment out of context. First, I really think Knox is an excellent school. What I was trying to say is that however unfair it is, local Christian Non Profits DO favor Wheaton College grads over anyone else. Why? Because 1) WC is local and familiar and 2) WC goes out of its way and spends insane amounts of $$ to be known to Christian non-profits, ESPECIALLY here in Wheaton / Chicago. It's a little harder to swim upstream on an established relationship like that.

What I was suggesting is that it couldn't hurt to take a look at your resume again and see if there is anything that you can spruce up.

PS: don't listen to J on occupational advice.

 
At 3:52 PM, Blogger Foodie on a Diet said...

Yeah, get out of here, you big creepy man.

-----

Sorry your brother's saying crappy stuff to you.

If you have either Saturday or Sunday off, we're going to go do something super-duper fun. Like go to the aquarium or go shopping downtown Chicago or go on that quest for the perfect red lipstick Heather was talking about.

You are not defined by your job. Let's do some of the things you really enjoy in the meantime while you wait for the right job to come.

Here's a WEIRD idea: make a list of things you really, really like to do but won't be able to do once you have your new dream job. Then start doing them and savoring them. (And making little check marks.)

I know it's really discouraging for now, so I don't want to make light of the situation. But maybe you can not be miserable.

 
At 4:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sorry things are really poopy right now.


We can eat ice cream straight from the carton when I come home, whether either of us are unemployed or not.

 
At 11:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i visited with a director of teen living programs this past summer. he told me that he did hire people with ivy league degrees pretty much because they had them.

BUT he later found out that some of those people were the worst workers he ever had. that makes me smile :-D

 

Post a Comment

<< Home