Monday, September 18, 2006

Ok, well I am still pretty much freaking out here. My interview went from 2:30 till 5. I met with Adam, the VERY cute employment councilor I would be working with. and we talked for about an hour-ish or so. He asked me about myself and my faith and my passions, etc. And I asked him about the rewards and downsides to the job. I also asked how many hours he worked a week. He said he did a lot of 60 hour a week weeks. He said it was because he is a perfectionist work aholic. That's great...just like me. But we had a really nice talk and then I met the other person I'd be working with, Dan. Also cute and very funny. Then we went to this apartment complex and met with some refugees. The first guy we met with was Somalian. The next two families also. Then we went to the Iraqi family's house. They were crazy. I had this banana drink and it smelled like frying meat and now I smell like frying meat. They were hilarious.

This job is way over my head, friends, and if they offer it to me I will probably take it because clearly God wants it cause I am not sure that I do. Well, I do and I don't. The great thing about it is that it's 50% in the office, 50% out. It's just working with refugees and helping them find a job and keeping that job. But Adam and I talked a bit about me being a woman and how that is a potential area for conflict. The makes me nervous too. Am I a big enough ball-buster? Cause that's what I'd be, one big ball buster. eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!! It feels good and it feels weird and I am scared and excited and I feel ignorant and I don't know what else. I'm gonna need some more Jesus because I can't possibly imagine doing this full time without that at my core. I just don't have enough faith in myself but I also do. I just don't know. I want to talk to them more and get their perspective because I want them to have the best person for this job. Cause if they hire me and I'm not that would be horrible. But if I am, well super. I really admire Adam for what he does and will look up to him for support and guidance and leadership. He's going to be a great person to work with, instead of starting a super scary job and having a shitty manager. That would suck. So, as Adam told the Iraqi family, Inshallah!

6 Comments:

At 1:01 PM, Blogger Heather said...

I recall a conversation where you told me you like to squeeze balls and make them pop. Was I drunk or did this happen?

 
At 1:01 PM, Blogger Heather said...

hairy ones.

 
At 1:02 PM, Blogger Heather said...

I think it was when we were being accosted by those douches in Glen Ellyn.

 
At 1:02 PM, Blogger Heather said...

therefore, I beleive you're totally a ball buster.

 
At 1:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha I know the Iraqi family...they're Kurd refugees and they have like 10 kids. I had 2 of them in class when I subbed, my brother tutored those two kids to when he did his multi-cultural tutoring practicum, and their dad was in my ESL class. They are a great bunch of people! Though I've never spoken any Iraqi to them.

My brother told me they now live in Winfield.(they used to live next door to my church)

 
At 6:15 PM, Blogger QueenAtotheM said...

Jama,

This family has only been in the states for like 2 months and no, they do not live in Winfield, they live in Glen Ellyn.

Heather,

You're more of a ball buster than I am!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home